Friday, October 12, 2012

Music: The Medicine Of The Mind?

So today we're going to get a little bit psychological, so bare with me. I'm going to dive into something everyone deals with.......with the excpetion of def people. You see, I've had the same song stuckin my head for about 2 days now. I was wondering how a song can get stuck in your head. So in order to start this daughnting task of figuring this out, I need to find out if the majority of the songs that usually get stuck in my head have anything in common. Below is the list of the 10 most songs I get stuck in my head. Along with the song will be a link to the song, so you too can possibly get that song stuck in your head, lol. So in no particular order, here's the "list":
(yeah i know, don't judge me, lol)
 

So now with this list, and many more not on this list, maybe there are some similarities between them. Every song besides The Devil Wears Prada, and Attila came out before 2000. So that's not one! Most of the songs on the list are about love, or losing love, but not all of them. So that's not one! Well, let's dig a little deeper. Maybe like a bodybuilder, your mind responds to repetiton. The more you listen to a song, the more it sticks out in your mind. So I went into my iTunes and looked at my most played songs, and only 2 of the songs on that list are in my top twenty-five played. Now I know most of those songs came out way before iTunes, but the most played song on my iTunes never gets stuck in my head. So I came to realize that these songs only get stuck in my head when I'm in a good mood. So maybe I heard all these songs when I was in a good mood. So when I did hear these songs, my brain placed them in to a special place. Like a "very special good mood" music folder in my brain. So if that's the case, let's maybe dive into the pitches of each song. With this we'll see if it's the pitch of the song that my brain sends certain signals to my body. Case in point, whenever i hear a really good song, like the Attila song, I can't help but get up and move. And maybe those signals that my brain is sending are making my body feel in an even better mood. Sort of like an amplification of the good mood that those songs put me in. Maybe it could be! If I look at every song I can actually tell you what I was doing when I first heard them. It could be that whenever I hear these songs, like a bookmark, my brain flips to that page of my life in my mind. That honestly could be why when you hear a song in a depressing mood, or during a break up, it's placed in your brain during an emotionally draining time period. Thus ruining the song for you. So every time you hear it, you instantly get in an upset mood just because the song brings back the rememberance of that time.


My last theory is when you listen to a song, and let's put this into an illustrative picture. Your brain is actually sitting on a picnic table. Out for everyone to see. Now lets say your brain has 50 mosquitos flying around it. Let's say one drops down and bites your brain causing an inflamation. So now your brain has an itch. your brain scratches it.....until the itch is gone. So in this picture, the mosquitos are songs. When you hear a song it engages the auditory cortex. Your brain has that song playing long after you're done listening to it, but with no audio. When your brain gets an itch the only way to scratch it, to your brain, is to replay the audio of that song until it's gone or replaced. So my question tonight is: We're taught at a young age not to scratch open wounds, when the parents we had, scratched their brains all the time........What's That All About?

Next Blog: I You, I See, I Eye

No comments:

Post a Comment